Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Daddy's Day...We love you.

Fourteen years ago I met the most wonderful man, I couldn't believe he fell in to my path. He was the most handsome, humorous, patient and kind person I had ever come across in my life. When I told him early on in our relationship that if he stayed with me and built a life he would be giving up on having his own biological children, I couldn't have any because I had a hysterectomy a couple of years before we met. He told me he was not going anywhere, he loved me and we could have a family.
A couple of years passed and we applied for adopting our first child, I didn't think I could love this man anymore than I already did, but the first time he held Jennifer and the look he had in his eyes when he first saw her I felt a love for him that I can't even begin to explain. It was the most powerful thing I had ever felt. I knew he was going to be a terrific Dad but it blew me away to watch him with out daughters! To this day, two children later, I watch them play at a distance, I am so proud of him I could burst. Everything he accomplishes, strives for, is for his "Girls", we love you Daddy.


Happy Dad's Day to my Father. Here is a man I am also proud of. At twenty he didn't listen to the masses that told him he was too young to be a Father and stood by his sixteen year old pregnant wife. I was born he worked his behind off at a few jobs so my Mom could stay at home with me until I was about eight, then he pushed my Mom to pursue her dreams and go back to school.
He has worked as paramedic supervisor since I was 4, he is very dedicated to his job, almost to a fault . He has taught me many valuable life lessons and his work ethics. He is an outstanding Father, I love you Daddy.
When my Dad found out he was going to be a Grandpa he was overwhelmed, secretly I think he had given up that honour when I had my surgery. We had put a fortune in his fortune cookie that said"Your going to be a Grandpa". After finding his glasses and me holding my breath for his reaction, he teared up and looked at me with the most heartwarming expression. He was overcome with emotion and he still is when he visits his babies. They know my Dad as the "candy man", he loves to lavish the princess with sweets candy and kisses.
Here is my Father-in-law, the photo says it all. He is a terrific man who loves life. If there is a party he be there in the center of things entertaining the group.
He worked as a jail guard for many years, the first time we were introduced I must say his size intimidated me. He stands at 6ft.7Inches, but he is all marshmallow inside!
He is the most playful, funny, entertaining Grandpa I could ever want for my girls. He is always on the floor on all fours with 4or5 grandchildren on his back giving horsey rides.
Not only am I proud that he raised a wonderful man , he also welcomed me in to his family and treats me as if I am his "daughter". We love Grandpa.



8 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Hope you had a great day together! Thanks for the b-day wishes!

redmaryjanes said...

Happy Father's Day to your hubby!

Rhonda said...

Happy Father's Day!

Elizabeth said...

HAppy father's day!

Nikki said...

There is something so beautiful about watching your husband in action as a dad, isn't there?

Hope the men in your life enjoyed a well-deserved Happy Father's Day!

Day Dreamer said...

Oh, what a wonderful post!

crazylady said...

I burst into tears with the fortune cookie.
FIL an ex jail guard? That tidbit will come in handy with Jen's dating choices. Wish I had stories to tell like this. Another inspiring read about your mom and dad.

insanemommy said...

Kerri, Your post was so moving. I too find it so touching to watch my Jeff with our girls. It's a role that suits him perfectly. Almost like he has rehearsed his whole life for it. So sweet. I love hearing the girls scream "daddy".